Electrical Engineer IV - Power Systems Maintenance
Reports to: Chief Engineer
Work Location: Corporate Office in Greenwood Village, CO
Employment Type: Full Time - Salary
City Light & Power, Inc. has built a reputation as an innovative, reliable and responsive private utility development leader, and is seeking qualified candidates with 8+ years of Engineering/Utility Industry experience related to the maintenance engineering of electrical distribution and substations.
Experience as an electrical system preventative maintenance program manager within Utilities Industry is a plus.
If you are highly motivated, energetic, and hardworking individual seeking to expand and build your power engineering career with a stable, innovative, and rapidly growing utility company, this is the position for you.
Key Duties and responsibilities:
- Possess and maintain broad and in-depth knowledge of principles, practices, procedures, and standards related to utility power distribution systems maintenance.
- Develop electrical substations and distribution system maintenance standards and guidelines.
- Design and implement preventative maintenance programs that adhere to latest industry standards and manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Develop detailed plans and procedures for routine testing and maintenance of electrical apparatuses found in sub-transmission, substations, and distribution systems.
- Design and implement recording keeping database system to capture all test reports, inspections, and performance data for key electrical assets that can be used for analysis and preventative maintenance planning.
- Analyze electrical apparatus test reports, field inspection data, and other performance data to identify performance status and life-cycle assessment of key electrical assets. Propose maintenance or replacement plans based on the technical analysis of the data.
- Develop concept alternatives, engineering calculations, analysis, and engineering estimates for maintenance and testing efforts for substations and distribution systems.
- Perform field surveys and condition assessments of major electrical assets/systems to identify maintenance deficiencies and present plans to address them to CLP management.
- Review existing system record drawings such as O&M manuals, blueprints, as-builts, training logs etc. and identify any deficiencies that are impacting proper operations and maintenance of the electrical apparatuses.
- Utilize GIS database to track and analyze field maintenance, testing, and inspections activities for large-scale electrical distribution systems.
- Keep up-to-date with utility industry standards and codes. Enforce and maintain all applicable standards and codes for our O&M, replacement/renewal, and new installations.
- Analyze electrical fault events, power quality issues, system loading scenarios and assist CLP crew to implement corrective actions.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of power system protection and relaying schemes for electrical distribution system.
- Develop/review complex electrical system models and validate various system study findings/recommendations.
- Review and approve various project as-built documents for accuracy and consistency.
- Review and comment on system upgrade projects scope and specifications from a maintenance and testing prospective.
- Mentor junior engineers and provide guidance and support to help them grow in their professional career.
Project Management duties:
- Preparation, managing, and maintaining task list and schedules.
- Submission of or response to Request for Information.
- Acting as main point of engineering contact for CLP’s system maintenance program and facilitating all field maintenance activities.
- Coordinating meetings, scheduling updates, submitting deliverables and addressing outstanding ‘open items’ as requested by the clients.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) degree from accredited university with emphasis in power systems. Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE) degree is preferred.
- 8+ years of working experience in electrical utility industry.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in design, maintenance, and operations of electrical apparatuses found in sub-transmission systems, substations, switching stations, and complex commercial/industrial power distribution systems.
- Expert in medium voltage electrical substations and distribution system.
- Expert in power system analysis, distribution system modeling, and protective device coordination.
- Ability to prepare and maintain task list project schedules in Microsoft Project.
- Must have excellent analytical, organizational, verbal, written, and communication skills.
- Must be a team player and be able to work with various partners from start to finish.
Up to 30% out-of-the-area and overnight travel will be expected.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance:
You must be authorized to work in the US without sponsorship. Military Base Security Clearance is required for this position. Valid driver’s license and ability to travel required.
CLP offers an excellent benefit package including health, dental, and life insurance, 401K, profit sharing, Paid Time Off, and holidays.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer Veterans/Disabled. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.