Electrical Engineer III - Power Systems
Reports to: CLP Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
Work Location: Aberdeen & Edgewood Area
Employment Type: Full Time - Salary
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Possess and maintain working knowledge of principles, practices, procedures, and standards related to utility power distribution systems.
- Assist in designing sub-transmission systems, substations, switching stations, and commercial/industrial power distribution system.
- Develop concept design alternatives, engineering calculations, analysis, and engineering estimates for small-scale system improvement projects for substations and distribution systems.
- Create, update, and maintain GIS database for large-scale electrical distribution systems.
- Perform site surveys for new utility service requests, develop concept design alternatives and present the alternatives to CLP management and the customer.
- Assist lead engineers with major capital upgrade projects. Responsibilities to include site visits, engineering calculations, drawings, drafting, field inspections, technical reports etc.
- Keep up-to-date with utility industry standards and codes. Enforce and maintain all applicable standards and codes for our O&M, replacement/renewable and new installations.
- Analyze electrical fault events, power quality issues, system loading scenarios and assist CLP crew to implement corrective actions.
- Gain and maintain intermediate knowledge of power system protection and relaying schemes for electrical distribution system.
- Create system model for large-scale power system in ETAP (or similar software) and perform various power system analysis/studies.
- Develop bill of material and technical specifications for various electrical projects.
- Schedule and attend field walk-downs with customer, subcontractor, and construction personnel to understand and determine project requirements.
- Perform field take-offs/evaluations for estimate preparation.
- Compare various project documents for accuracy and consistency.
- Participate in estimate review process with internal and external stake holders.
- Assist construction personnel throughout the project life-cycle in tracking and understanding basis of cost estimate.
- Assist in the preparation and submission of change orders.
- Follow up at the end of a project to close any loops in the estimating process.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) degree from accredited university with emphasis in power systems.
- 5+ years working experience in electrical utility industry.
- Working level experience with medium voltage electrical substations and distribution system.
- Familiar with power system analysis, distribution system modeling, and protective device coordination.
- Experienced in blueprints, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare time/cost/labor estimates for projects and services.
- Ability to prepare construction schedules in Microsoft Project.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel is required.
- Must have excellent analytical, organizational, verbal, written, and communication skills.
- Must be a team player and be able to work with various partners from start to finish.
- Willingness to undergo a background check and drug screen in order to obtain post clearance.
- Must be an U.S. Citizen
Benefits & Compensation:
Compensation will be based on qualifications. CLP offers great benefits package that includes medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, 401k with company contribution, paid time off and paid holidays.