City Light & Power (CLP) is a company at the forefront of the modern day electric utility industry. We support the Federal Government in the area of military installations and their electrical distribution systems, as well as with local municipalities in the area of street lighting systems. At CLP, we are persistently searching for the right talent to join our diverse team of professionals. Today are looking to add a Job Cost Accountant to our team in Denver that would support our multiple locations in all their job costing needs.
Reports to: Finance Manager
Work Location: Corporate Office Greenwood Village, CO
Employment Type: Full Time - Salary
The Cost Accountant role is to maintain and control job cost by collecting and recording direct costs (materials, labor and subcontract services) and allocating indirect costs using a sound application methodology. Reporting is critical to keeping the project manager and management aware of each project’s progress as well as sound an alert when cost overruns will lead to reduced profitability. Primary responsibilities is to perform accounting functions such as ledger/account maintenance, cost analysis, reconciliation, posting, inventory control and reporting.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Project Managers and Field Personnel on a national basis in order to correctly account for various projects.
- Understand project finances and provide standard project metrics and analysis as well as ad hoc project reporting.
- Collaborate effectively with project managers on job progress, projected costs, and projected completions.
- Support management team by identifying job cost issues and opportunities through periodic presentations as well as accommodating impromptu project report requests.
- Attend and contribute to project handoff meetings and project close out meetings.
- Process new job requests by establishing new job numbers, populating job setup fields, and allocating cost estimates and projections in accounting software.
- Review and approve job cost coding of direct cost invoices and field payroll timesheets.
- Prepare entries monthly for project cost revenue accruals.
- Prepare entries monthly for direct and indirect job cost allocations—including inventory, equipment, and engineering.
- Maintain and champion audit-ready paper trails for job cost documentation as well as direct and indirect cost entries.
- Contribute to the improvement of project cost controls, analysis, and processes.
- Provide proactive and responsive internal and external customer service; always aiming to exceed customer expectations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Three years of project/cost accounting experience OR five years progressive accounting experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Ability to multitask and perform under pressure.
- Effective interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills are essential.
- Expert Level in Microsoft Excel as well as Proficient in other Office products.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and adapt to new processes and technology.
- Working knowledge of Federal Government accounting regulations, including Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), Cost Accounting Standards Boards (CASB), and/or Federal Energy Regulation Commission (FERC) is a plus.
- Experience with construction accounting software such as Sage or Spectrum is a plus.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance:
- You must be authorized to work in the US without sponsorship. No Security Clearance is required for this position.
Benefits & Compensation:
Compensation will be based on qualifications. CLP offers great benefits package that includes medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, 401k with company contribution, paid time off and paid holidays.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/Disabled/Veterans. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.